You know when you want something to look as incredible as it tastes so others believe you of it’s wondrousness? Well this is one of those times, but unfortunately my photography skills have let me down here.
I don’t know if I’m right in saying that most people get cravings for things like chocolate, chips, fast food… but I don’t tend to get those. That’s definitely not to say I don’t get cravings! But mine tend to be for things like eggs, baked beans, tomatoes, red wine and a nice, big, juicy steak… I like to think it’s my body telling me what it needs 😛
I have recently eaten this, but I am salivating at the thought of it nevertheless. And yeah, I’d say this was special enough for a Valentines dinner!
- olive oil
- 3-4 shallots, thinly sliced
- about 5 white mushroom, sliced
- good splash of sherryvinegar (about 3 tbsp)
- even better splash of red wine (200ml)
- 300ml hot beef stock
- 2 sirloin steaks
- gnocchi and little gem lettuce, to serve
- First, make the sauce. Heat the oil in a frying pan, and add the mushrooms and shallots. Fry on a medium heat for about 10 minutes, until golden and caramelized. Pour in the vinegar, then simmer until almost evaporated, then do the same with the wine. Add the stock, bring to the boil, then reduce by 2/3.
- Rub the steaks with olive oil, salt and pepper. Heat another frying pan until very hot, then put the steaks on it. For a rare steak, cook for 3 minutes each side, 4 minutes for medium and 5-6 minutes for well done. While it is cooking you could be boiling the gnocchi and chopping the lettuce! Put it aaaaall together on a plate for the most flavoursome, enjoyable dinner EVARR!