Black bean chilli? Yes please thank you very much to you sir please and thank you kindly.
This is the dish that has transformed my opinion of avocado AND radish – I am a double convert, and it is also the first recipe I have used to highlight my love of the flavourful black bean. Over to you recipe…
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 tsp smoked/sweet paprika
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp vinegar (white wine or cider would work well)
- 1 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- approx 200g black beans, rinsed and drained
- to serve: your choice of… chopped coriander, sliced radish, diced avocado, cheese, sour cream, spring onions, lime wedges…
- and rice! or sweet potato. that would be delicious.
- Heat some oil in a saucepan over a medium-low heat and add the onion. Fry for about 5 minutes until softened a little, then add the garlic and pepper. Cook for a few minutes longer, then add the next 7 ingredients (paprika through to chopped tomatoes) with some seasoning. Cook for about 10 minutes, until reduced a little. Add the beans and cook for 5-10 minutes longer. Serve with accompaniments of your choice!
It is so easy and it feels like a real feast 🙂
I would also like to add that the choice of blue cheese was the love’s. I went for feta. Admittedly I used up the last bit and blue cheese was really all he was left with but still… each to their own I suppose 😉